ScoopFree Litter Box Review
In this article we will show you the greatest Scoopfree Litter box review ever made. You will also learn what to expect from these products. The benefits you are going to receive will make sure you throw your old, smelly litter box in the trash can.
Are you prepared to do so? If so, good. Read on.
I will share with you not only mine, but the experiences of the most advanced and sophisticated cat owners out there. These are people that spent a large part of their lifetime in cat surroundings.
For those that are curious about the PetSafe litter box company, it is good to know that all of their products are designed by MIT graduates. All of the product’s innovations didn’t happen by any chance.
ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Box Overview
Possessing a ScoopFree Litter box is actually a blessing. You will get rid of the nasty and boring task of cleaning and going after your old litter box each and every day.
The soft blue crystals along with the disposable litter tray are the biggest factor of urine absorption and reducing scent.
The beauty of the crystals is that they keep the area surrounding the box clean. Litter cannot be tracked if crystals are used. This means that this is an excellent litter box for smell control.
They also absorb the urine and waste perfectly. The ScoopFree litter box comes with crystals that you have to change after a month of use.
It is recommended to change the disposable tray once every month of use. However, if you have multiple cats using your litter box, you should do it every 15 days.
To save money, what I recommend you do is invest in a reusable Forever Tray product. This way you won’t be arranged to change the cardboard tray forever. It will help you save valuable time and nerves, and keep your house odor free.
The MIT engineers created one of the most convenient and aesthetic litter boxes out there. There are two versions of the ScoopFree litter boxes.
The first version is an Original ScoopFree Self Cleaning litter box. There is an upgraded version of it, called the Ultra ScoopFree litter box.
ScoopFree Original Litter Box – Complete Review
The Original version of the product is somewhat similar to the Ultra version. There are many useful additions to the Ultra versions, but they don’t change the working concept of the original version.
The cardboard tray is filled with blue crystals. Their function is to absorb moisture and odor. After this is done, the dehydration process starts and the waste is dried, thus removing odor.
One of the best features of the ScoopFree Original litter box is the motion sensor added to it. It can count how many times a cat used the box.
This way you can get valuable information about the health of your cat. If the cat uses the small litter box too frequently, it would be a good idea to bring the cat to the vet.
Once the motion detector senses the cat leaving the box, the self cleaning mechanism starts after 20 minutes.
The best thing about this product is that you don’t need to have any contact with the waste. All you have to do is fill up the ScoopFree Original automatic cleaning box with the Blue Crystals.
It comes with 90-day warranty. If you are not satisfied with what you got, you get 100% of your money back. There is a waste compartment that is located on the front of the product. The tray is disposable.
Benefits Of Using The ScoopFree Original Litter Box
- You won’t come in any contact with the waste, thanks to the automatic, self cleaning mechanism
- Save money. The disposable tray comes with Premium Blue Crystals that come with the package
- You won’t clean urination leaks thanks to the absorbable Blue Crystals
- 90 day 100% money back warranty
- Designed and developed by MIT scientists
- It cleans on itself 20 minutes after a cat uses the device, thanks to the sensors on the opening. You don’t have to activate it to do its job. It does it on its own
- Suitable for multiple cats. You don’t have to follow the number of cats +1 litter box rule
How To Install The ScoopFree Original Mechanical Litter Box
To be perfectly honest with you, installing this product requires some work. Once it arrives, you have to follow the plain instructions. A lot of ScoopFree Original owners have been asking me for an installation solution. They couldn’t simply set up the product no matter how religiously they followed the installation tutorial.
I will keep things simple and effective.
Once the product arrives, you can see that the product is made up by 3 separate pieces. The litter box mount, the disposable litter tray that is used as cover that goes under the tray.
First, put in the tray’s lid underneath the the litter tray. This servers as a protection factor.
Second of all, you have to lift up the box and put the litter tray underneath.
Thrid : This process causes a “click” sound. What this means is that the waste trap and the sensor are connected to the litter tray.
After you do this Three-Step process, it should be ready to go.
How Does The ScoopFree Original Automatic Litter Box Work ?
This automatic litter box has built in motion sensors that detect the cats movement. Once the cat enters, does its business and leaves the box, the sensors will detect the cat exiting the box. 20 minutes after leaving the box, the product automatically begins its cleaning process. The rake will start scooping and sweeping the waste into a plastic compartment.
If your cat goes into the box while the rake is working, the motion sensor will detect the cat moving inside of it. Then the process will be paused. Once the cat leaves the box, the rake will continue its job.
After a month it would be clever to replace the disposable cardboard tray. What I and many other pet owners recommend is use a Forever Tray. It will serve you a lifetime and is a perfect blend to the ScoopFree litter box.
How To Use The ScoopFree Original Box The Best Way
As I said before, it is recommended to buy the Forever Tray product to save money. Changing cardboard trays every 3 weeks can actually be a very expensive thing to do. After 6 months of use, you will actually start saving money. The blue crystals can be bought in bulk in a local grocery store.
- The Dimensions Of The ScoopFree Original Self Cleaning Litter Box Are 27.4 x 19 x 7 inches – This means that this is an above average box that will take up a lot of free space. Measure if the location you are willing to put the litter box can actually fit it.
- The ScoopFree Original Litter Box Doesn’t Come With a Cover – If you have a big cat, it would be a perfect box for extra large cats. However, if your cat has a tendency to kick the litter out of the box you should consider the Ultra version. It comes with a cover that would handle all of the potentially kicked litter. The cover however, might be too small for your extra big cat.
- You Should Get The High Sides That Prevent Blue Crystalls Falling To The Ground – Sometimes your cat cannot fully adapt to the newly purchased ScoopFree Original litter box. It is a clever idea to keep your old, traditional litter box until your cat adapts to the newly purchased one. Never throw the old box.
- Stir and Rake The Litter Every Week – Do this if your cat is urinating on the exact same spot every single time. All of the disposable and cardboard trays have a limited lifespan. You should replace them every couple of weeks. If you don’t there is a high possibility of urination spillage. This will cause health problems for both your cat and your family members.
- Spread Baking Soda On The Waste Container To Keep Odor in Check – If this doesn’t solve the issue completely, consider purchasing an Air Filter and place it near the litter box.
I Recommend The ScoopFree Original Box For
- Those who are willing to invest in refilling the box as much as it is required
- Is perfect to use for one single cat
- Cats who can easily adapt to cool and decorative mechanical boxes
- If you are willing to invest in a Forever Tray, to actually save you money after 6 months of use
- Anyone who is willing to spend money wisely to satisfy their and their cats’ needs
I Don’t Recommend This Box For
- Anyone who is not willing to spend money on a quality automatic box
- Those who have 3 or more cats and are willing to use one product for all of their felines
- Cats who have regular soft feces
Original ScoopFree Litter Box Conclusion
The ScoopFree Original mechanical litter box is an excellent solution if you are having difficulty with cleaning the old box daily.
However, just like any other electric box, it also does require some manual maintenance. This maintenance is a lot easier than cleaning the litter pan and lid every single day.
All the maintenance is required is changing the cardboard tray every couple of weeks and racking the litter.
If this seems like hard work for you, you should wait a couple of years more for litter brands to create a completely hands free self cleaning boxes.
The ScoopFree Original box doesn’t differ a lot from the Ultra version. The Ultra version comes with add-ons and added features. However, the working concept is exactly the same.
You won’t see a huge difference between those products. I will talk about the Ultra version in the following text.
ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box – Complete Review
To be 100% honest with you, the ScoopFree Ultra litter box isn’t very different from the Originalversion. Of course it is an updated version that comes with a lot of added features to improve userexperience.
The ScoopFree Ultra self cleaning litter box is a great option if you want to prevent litter tracking and spillage. The reason behind this is the removable Cover.
The best thing about the ScoopFree automatic boxes is that they come with multiple add-ons you can purchase separately. I will talk about this later.
The ScoopFree Ultra enclosed cabinet system can handle multiple cats. This wasn’t the case with the Original version. The main reason why is because the Motion Detector can be activated after 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes after the cat walks out of it.
No matter how many cats enter or leave the box, after just 5 minutes the rake will begin cleaning the waste. This is a great thing the ScoopFree litter box brand came up with.
The manufacturer recommends replacing the cardboard every 20-30 days. The urination causes the tray to leak. However, if you have 2 cats it is recommended to change after 15 days of use. If you have 3+ cats, you better change it every week.
To save money, and avoid going after the automatic box every week, I would recommend you to buy a Forever Tray. You probably guessed it. It would last you forever.
Benefits Of Using The ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box
- Dust free Blue Crystals come with the complete package
- Improved raking system takes care of the waste perfectly
- Value your cats privacy with the removable plastic cover
- Control the odor with the absorbable dust free blue crystals
- Improved Power system : UL rated 120V Hz AC Adapter
- Suitable for multiple cats thanks to the extra long – 10 foot – cord length
- Free shipping 1 year replacement warranty
- 90 day 100% money back warranty (free shipping is included)
How To Install The ScoopFree Ultra Mechanical Litter box
The installation process of the ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box is just as the same as the Original version. Product package from Amazon.com comes with the following parts:
- Privacy Hood
- ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box
- Complete Blue Crystal Cartridge that will last you a long time
- Installation Manual
The only difference is the added Cover. All you have to do is attach the cover to the side of the litter pan. Doing this is pretty easy.
If you don’t know how, just read the improved installation manual that comes with the package.
Installing this self-cleaning litter box is far easier than it’s rival, the Simply Clean litter box.
How The ScoopFree Ultra Box Works
The working concept of the ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box is very similar to the Original version. Once the cat does its business, the motion sensor detects the cat leaving the box.
Here is where the Ultra version specializes. You can adjust the timer. You can set the rake to starts cooping the blue crystals for 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes. After the cat hides the waste and digs in the blue crystals, creating uneven surface, the rake evens up the crystals. The rake pushes the waste parts into a waste trap.
There is a magnet added to the rake and the purple waste trap. It opens as soon as the rake is very close to it.
The blue crystals work up to their potential in dry and fresh air. Don’t ever use humidity crystals withthe ScoopFree Ultra mechanical box. It will do more damage to the tray.
How To Make The ScoopFree Ultra Work Up To It’s Potential
- If you want the ScoopFree Ultra Box to last you for a very, very long time, it is clever to keep it in area that provides fresh and dry air. Stay away from humid areas.
- Never ever use humidity crystals. The cardboard tray that comes with the product will be easily damaged if you use that type of crystals.
- You can use humidity crystals if you choose to purchase the Forever Tray product.
- Purchase Forever Tray if your cats have soft feces. Those are usually older cats with diabetes, or other health related problems.
- Never use the ScoopFree Ultra self cleaning box for cats that are under six months old. They have a tendency to urinate more often than adult cats.
- Activate the rake every single day to even up the level of the blue crystals.
- Stir up the blue crystals every single day to prevent the cats to urinate on the exact same crystals every time.
- The blue crystals are created from silica material. The material needs great circulation of air to help with evaporation. Place the ScoopFree ultra litter box near a window to maximize its potential
- To reduce odor completely, use baking soda on the blue crystals and the waste trap
Whom I Recommend The ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box
- Regularly sized cats. The litter area is not suitable for giant cats
- Those who are looking to use the ScoopFree Original product, but with multiple cats
- If you want the cleaning cycle to start after 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes after the cat leaves the box
- If your cat is somewhat shy, and values privacy. The cover will take care of this
- If you have the finances to replace the tray and the cartridge
- Cat owners with tight budget
- For above average cats
- Kittens with soft feces and frequent urination
- Cats who are under six months of age
Ultra ScoopFree Box Conclusion
If you ask me the ScoopFree Ultra automatic litter box is a better option than the Original version. The reason behind this is the more powerful rake that can take care of the harder waste, and the adjustable timer added. It is also one of the top hooded litter boxes on the market today.
Both of these improvements, added additional benefits to the Original product. Now you can use multiple cats with it. Forget about the blue crystals scattered around the box. The plastic purple lid covers everything inside of it.
I would recommend this modern enclosed jumbo box for cat owners who don’t have the time to go after their cats’ waste.
Problems With ScoopFree Litter Box
The only downside I can say about this product is the need to constantly change the trays.
If you happen to have more than one cat you have to do it more frequently. The working mechanism of the ScoopFree automatic litter box is actually perfect. Another problem is that the box is big, but the cardboard trays are tiny.
They hold half a bag of 5 pound bag very easily. You also cannot use standard clumping litter, because it can badly damage the motor.
The blue crystal refills need to be changed every week. If you don’t invest in the Ultra version of the ScoopFree modern litter box, chances are big that blue crystals will be spread all over your household. They actually hurt when you step on them!
It is reported that some sound sensitive old cats have been scared of the cleaning cycle. They say that this is a bad litter box for your elderly cat. I personally didn’t have this issue, but it is a good thing to know. As you can see the majority of the problems with ScoopFree litter box come from financial standpoint.
As I said above, investing in Forever Tray can save you a lot of money and nerves. If you decide to invest in this product, don’t be hesitant to get Forever Tray. Use it as early as possible. You will be glad about it.
Scoopfree Litter Box vs. LitterMaid – Which One Is Better?
Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either. Each of them has some advantages or disadvantages over the other.
The LitterMaid self cleaning litter boxes have 4 versions.
- 2 Elite versions
My experience showed that the Basic LitterMaid version does the job better than the other ones. It is interesting that it is the oldest version.
The main problem with the ScoopFree automatic litter box is that the cartridge replacement is expensive. Also the waste receptacle can handle waste up to 4 weeks. However, once the waste is pushed to the receptacle, the purple lid lifts up automatically and spreads some bad scent.
On the other side, the LitterMaids are easier to maintain and cheaper. The LitterMaid pushes the waste into bags that you can throw wherever you want. But, the main issue with the LitterMaid is that the motor is somewhat weak and can die relatively quick.
As the famous proverb says “You get what you pay for”.
To answer the question once and for all. Scoopfree Litter Box vs. LitterMaid?
ScoopFree Litter Box Accessories
If you want to improve the experience with the ScoopFree modern litter box, there is a way. But, that way actually costs some money. Don’t be a skeptic. This is called an investment. If you want to maximize the potential of the product, I recommend you invest in ScoopFree litter box accessories.
Also you need some of these accessories to regularly maintain the product. Let me present you with a list of the best ScoopFree litter box accessories you can get.
- Refill Cartridge
- Litter-Bagger for Scoopfree litter boxes
Each of those boosts the user experience with the product. It is up to you whether you want to make this investment. My job here is to show you how these add-ons can benefit you and your cat.
Thankfully for you, all of those ScoopFree litter box accessories are available on Amazon.com. The best part is that they come with free shipping, and in just a couple of days.
The customer service of ScoopFree is almost perfect. My friend once had an issue with the rake of the ScoopFree Original box.
They sent him a completely new, reinforced rake in just 1 day, without any shipping costs. Can you ask for more?
I recommend the ScoopFree self cleaning compact litter box over the LitterMaid. The Ultra version of it definitely beats the LitterMaid Elite versions. They actually downgraded from the Basic model.
ScoopFree Litter Box Cover
The ScoopFree Litter Box Cover is a great add-on if you have a furious cat that likes to kick litter. For such a cheap price you will save a lot of nerves and time to collect all of the blue crystals spread over the floor.
Like I said before, stepping on the blue crystals actually hurts! Prevent all of this pain and invest in a simple purple cover that is recognizable for the ScoopFree Ultra self cleaning litter box.
Setting it up is a piece of cake. All you have to do is adjust the plastic clips and press upon them. You should hear a clicking noise. This ensures that you are ready to go.
The ScoopFree litter box cover actually makes the box as a private bathroom for your cat.
It is both compatible with the ScoopFree Original and Ultra versions. The greatest benefit is that it “traps” some of the bad odor inside the box.
If you are planning to place the ScoopFree automatic box in the living room, I highly recommend investing in a ScoopFree Litter Box cover. Potential visitors will also notice the beautiful purple color of it. You should expect a lot of positive compliments regarding the cool, decorative and fancy lid.
ScoopFree Cat Litter Box Refill Cartridge
Investing in ScoopFree Litter Box Refill Cartridge will be highly beneficial for your indoors. The blue crystals are 100% dust proof and soak in urine and waste like no other clumping clay litter. It doesn’t stick to the claws of your cats.
Because of this, it isn’t possible your cat to be tracking blue crystals all over the household. The litter tray is completely leak-proof and is disposable.
You can replace the trays in just a couple of seconds. One ScoopFree blue crystal tray can last you over a month.
Saving money on litter is a high possibility. Combining those ScoopFree litter box refills with a cover will do wonders. No matter how much crystals your cat will kick, they will all be contained inside of the litter box. No matter how sensitive your cat is, it won’t be bothered by those ScoopFree litter box refills.
Each cartridge is contained of full pack of parfume and dye free blue crystals. No matter how frequently your cat defecates and urinates, the cartridge full of blue crystals will soak up perfectly.
It is reported that it provides 5x better odor control than traditional litters. I am a firm believer of that!